Discover Workday at RISD
Workday is a human resources, financial and student information system designed to modernize and standardize the way RISD delivers key services to our community. Workday will be delivered in two phases. The initial launch on April 1, 2019 replaced Ellucian Colleague for all financial and human resources functions. Workday Student will be implemented through 2021. View the full timeline.
Workday 2020R2 upgrade this weekend
Each March and September, Workday releases an upgraded version of their software. Each release provides new functionality, fixes known bugs and enhances the overall user experience. Workday 2020R2 is the next such upgrade.
Workday will be upgraded with this release on Saturday, September 12th and will not be accessible from 2:00AM until 10:00AM EST.
There are no changes to our existing job aids with this upgrade.
Benefits of Workday
In line with RISD’s strategic planning initiative, Workday is an “enabling system” built to remain continuously modern and take advantage of best practices in the processes critical to how we operate as an organization.
Workday’s features will help RISD to enable and foster a culture of integrated and collaborative working by:
- providing real-time access to accurate information for decision making across academic and administrative areas
- minimizing administrative overhead for faculty and staff by replacing paper and manual workflows
- allowing employees to enable workflow and business processes without reliance on coding by ITS staff
- reducing operating costs and minimizing security, compliance and accessibility risks through cloud hosting and a modern software architecture
- leveraging a single codebase for more efficient product updates and third-party integrations
- increasing communication and visibility and improving user experiences across tasks
The decision to invest in Workday was not taken lightly, particularly with regard to our current enterprise resource system, Ellucian Colleague. Ongoing customization to Colleague over the past three decades has added layers of complexity, making upgrades disruptive and impeding RISD’s momentum in administrative and operational areas.
About this website
This site will be an ongoing resource for the RISD community, providing up-to-date information about the Workday implementation. Over the coming year, the Workday Organizational Change & Training (OC&T) Team will publish more detailed reference guides and video tutorials for using Workday. We welcome your feedback about how to make the site as helpful as possible. Please submit thoughts or questions via this contact form.