Discover Workday at RISD
Workday is a human resources, financial and student information system designed to modernize and standardize the way RISD delivers key services to our community. Workday will be delivered in two phases. The initial launch on April 1, 2019 replaced Ellucian Colleague for all financial and human resources functions. Workday Student will be implemented through 2021. View the full timeline.
Open Enrollment 2020 — Open Lab Sessions
Welcome to open enrollment, the time period where you may adjust certain benefits for January 1, 2020. This year open enrollment will begin on Wednesday, November 6, 2019 and end on Wednesday, November 27, 2019..
All Open Enrollment elections and/or changes must be confirmed and submitted via Workday and will take effect on Wednesday, January 1, 2020.
View the Navigating Open Enrollment job aid to help you with our new open enrollment process and/or stop by one of the open lab sessions to better understand how to navigate benefit election and change requests in Workday.
Open labs will be held at these dates/times in Computer Lab Room #20WP026, 20 Washington Place:
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Thursday, November 14, 2019, 8:30 a.m.– 3:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 18, 2019, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 21, 2019, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Monday, November 25, 2019, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Information about the September 2019 Update (Workday 33)
Each March and September, Workday releases an upgraded version of the software. Each release provides new functionality, fixes known bugs and enhances the overall user experience. Workday 33, the next such upgrade, will be implemented beginning 11 pm on Friday, September 6. We expect the installation to be complete by Saturday morning at 10 am. Workday will not available during this timeframe.
To support the arrival of Workday 33, updated versions of the following job aids have been added to the site:
Procurement and Accounts Payable
Creating a receipt
Student Workers can now modify time cards
Student Workers are now able to modify and update the the check in and check out information on their own time cards. For more details, see Information for Student Workers.
Benefits of Workday
In line with RISD’s strategic planning initiative, Workday is an “enabling system” built to remain continuously modern and take advantage of best practices in the processes critical to how we operate as an organization.
Workday’s features will help RISD to enable and foster a culture of integrated and collaborative working by:
- providing real-time access to accurate information for decision making across academic and administrative areas
- minimizing administrative overhead for faculty and staff by replacing paper and manual workflows
- allowing employees to enable workflow and business processes without reliance on coding by ITS staff
- reducing operating costs and minimizing security, compliance and accessibility risks through cloud hosting and a modern software architecture
- leveraging a single codebase for more efficient product updates and third-party integrations
- increasing communication and visibility and improving user experiences across tasks
The decision to invest in Workday was not taken lightly, particularly with regard to our current enterprise resource system, Ellucian Colleague. Ongoing customization to Colleague over the past three decades has added layers of complexity, making upgrades disruptive and impeding RISD’s momentum in administrative and operational areas.
About this website
This site will be an ongoing resource for the RISD community, providing up-to-date information about the Workday implementation. Over the coming year, the Workday Organizational Change & Training (OC&T) Team will publish more detailed reference guides and video tutorials for using Workday. We welcome your feedback about how to make the site as helpful as possible. Please submit thoughts or questions via this contact form.